Thursday, September 28, 2017

"Portrait of My Brother, Jim" - "Familia/La Familia", Poets and Artists Publication

"Portrait of My Brother, Jim"
Oil, 30" x 24"


I'm really proud and excited that my painting of my brother, Jim, was accepted into the recent Poets and Artists' publication, "The Family Edition: Family/La Familia". You can purchase a copy (print issue or a download) of the publication by clicking here.

Poets and Artists is a platform that features artists painting figurative work from all over the world as well as contributing poets and writers. The "Family" issue is especially interesting because figurative artists were asked to provide work featuring their family. 

In a politicized art world of slick, trendy, edgy and/or commercially sensationalized images it is pretty refreshing to see some sincerity and tenderness. The jurors for the publication were noted realists David Kassan and Shana Levinson and they did a wonderful job selecting beautiful and moving work.

My brother Jim is an amazingly gifted person, highly creative, intelligent and one of the most compassionate people I know. I wanted to paint his portrait emphasizing his musical talents as well as an oblique reference to the falling leaves of a Midwestern childhood autumn. 

No comments: